Notes on music theory. Before going any further, I would like to recommend Bad Diode’s notes on music theory, which are more comprehensive and useful than anything I could put together.
On this page, I’m planning to focus on peculiar patterns and techniques that caught my attention, which I’ve learned from analysing the music I enjoy and from falling down rabbit holes of theory.
Three centimetres of wavy lines, then you play the music.
Scales and modes
Planned topics include:
- Common musical scales and their modes
- Major scale
- Minor scale
- Harmonic minor
- Melodic minor (particularly the 5th mode, the Major-Minor scale)
- Other scales and modes
- Whole tone scale
- Octatonic or half–whole step scale
- Double harmonic scale
- Neapolitan scales
- Messiaen’s Modes of Limited Transposition
- Circle of Melodic Dissonance
- Examples in classical music and in metal
- A Study of Scales (Ian Ring)
- Modes of Limited Transposition (Ligeti’s Laboratory, 2016)